The foundation stone for the Town Hall was laid the chairman of the council, John Evans, in 1900. The new building, which was designed by Thomas Henry Watson in the Pre-Renaissance style and was built by Kingerlee and Sons, was officially opened by the then chairman of the council, F.W. Roper, on 13 November 1901. The design involved a symmetrical main frontage with seven bays facing onto the Burroughs; the central section featured a porte-cochère flanked by Doric order columns on the ground floor; there were three mullion windows flanked by oriel windows on the first floor; on the roof a timber lantern with a weather vane was erected.
Margaret Thatcher made her first appearance and speech as Prime Minister here in 1979. A sculpture, called the ‘Family of Man’ by Itzhak Ofer, was unveiled in the front in 1981 and the building underwent a refurbishment in 2009.
The building offers a plethora of spaces for filming. The Council Chamber itself doubles well as a court room, committee room or other seats of power.
There are meeting and receptions available, in a variety of styles and sizes, which could be used as locations or as well-equipped production and make-up spaces.
A beautiful grand staircase is perfect for period shoots.